©1996

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Friday 20/7/2007
Got to the airport in plenty of time Thanks Pat
Could not resist a duty free bargain
Good flight and some great movie action Ten canoes, History boys, Shooter, Happy feet
Love Qantas

Arrived in Beijiing on time 25 degrees and two jackets too dark to see anything much
Despite all the advice to the contrary I was told that a visa was not needed for transit of less than 24hrs…so I could leave the airport…So I booked a hotel

I have to say that the hype about the smog I expected more than was evident….
The hotel was comfortable at $70AUD with a free shuttle bus all arranged from the airport and after paying a deposit and a short wait we were off
If you are arriving in Beijiing and need to travel by road for the first time it is an experience I can only compare to driving in Nigeria but worse. It seems that indication and the side of the road you choose is optional!

I found that most people understood basic English and all were friendly..with the repeated use of “No problem” though that was occasionally accompanied with a smile a blank stare and very little action. I eat in the hotel a basic fried rice was $3AUD and the local drop from Beijiing $2AUD for a 600ml bottle
Access the internet it was included and I was greeted and welcomed by the manager who was happy to see me and offered his help if the need arose.

No comments:

Blog Archive